- 2 pounds unshelled chestnuts
- 2-3 sprigs rosemary
- ½ cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- Black pepper, to taste
- Heat grill to medium-high.
- Rinse the chestnuts. Use a serrated knife to score an “x” into the rounded side of each chestnut.
- Soak in a bowl of hot water for 1 minute (this helps them steam while roasting).
- Drain chestnuts and pat dry; place in a medium bowl. Add rosemary, butter, 2 teaspoons salt, and nutmeg. Season with pepper and toss to thoroughly coat. Arrange chestnuts in a single layer in center of foil (a few might overlap) and gather up edges of foil around chestnuts, leaving a large opening on top.
- Roast until the peel begins to curl up and chestnuts are cooked through, 30-45 minutes, depending on size and age of nuts.
- Transfer chestnuts to a platter, using a spatula to scrape in any butter and spices with them, and toss to coat. Season with more salt, if desired. Serve hot or warm.